So it has been a while since I've made a food post. However, I am still always trying new recipes, as well as stalking Pinterest and Food Gawker.
I stumbled upon this pasta salad recipe on Pinterest the other day and knew I wanted to give it a try. I've actually never been a pasta salad kind of person. That's usually the dish I skip over at barbecues. Somehow the ingredients and ease of this dish, spoke to me. Not to mention, with how hot it's been, this dish is a great fit.
The verdict was....this dish was a hit!! I will definitely keep this in rotation! I suggest eating it along side a piece of pita bread, or something similar.
EASY GRILLED CHICKEN TORTELLINI SALAD
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
Ingredients:For the salad:
- 1 box tri-color tortellini
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 – 5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 2 mini babybel lights, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (good quality)
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
- Liberally rub chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Preheat a grill to medium heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken and cook until completely done, about 5 – 6 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and slice into thin pieces.
- While chicken cooks, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add tortellini and cook for about 8 minutes, or until they are fully cooked (they’ll float to the top). Rinse.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the tortellini with the chicken. Add tomatoes, onion and sliced cheese.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a shallow bowl. Pour over salad and stir in fresh basil.
Nutritional information per serving (about 1/2 cup serving with 1 tablespoon dressing):Calories: 421
Fat: 20 grams*
Carbohydrates: 28.75 grams
Fiber: 3.25 grams
Protein: 23.25 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 10
TIPS & MODS:
As you can see the only thing i did different, is the type of pasta. I couldn't find tri-colored tortellini, so I used rotini instead. I didn't grill my chicken--just baked it, then cut it into small pieces. Oh, and I also used a crumbled gorgonzola cheese along with the Baby Bell!
Recipe courtesy of The Realistic Nutritionist.